Monday, May 11, 2009

Inspiration

While it may seem odd, when undertaking a project it is crucial to have a direction as there is the potentiality to get lost or worse, come out with a horrible or an expensive disaster. But before the overall direction of the car is covered, I think its needed to cover some influences that have played a big part, and there are quite a few to add.



My first love of Turbos came from Justin Gray of Birmingham AL and I blame him mostly for my obsession with turbos in general. Justin attended my high school and was one of the last friends to get a car, he infact waited something like a year after turning 16 to get a car. Turned out to be one of the coolest cars Ive ever ridden in and got me started. The car in question is a VW of all things and one of some 5000 special edition 337 GTIs made. (I really digg hacking unprotected Photobuckets :)




Photobucket

337

So there you have it, my first real influence. The car is a BLAST to drive, handles like a go cart, just an all around fun ass car. The handling definitely made my top list of handling cars but the overall feel of the car, the power (its had some more go fast goodies added at which I have gotten to enjoy a couple of time), and the fit and finish made me want one VERY bad.



The next influence may take you back a little bit, but I have to give credit where credit is due, and this little P5 let me enjoy the handling, not as fast as the 337 by any means, but was incredible in turns. I had to do some digging on this one, but I can not find a good clear shot of the car. I failed miserably this time at e stalking :(



That car has been through a lot, but when it was in its prime, sweet baby Jesus! While I was never there for the whole schlemiel of handling parts, it has a very competent suspension setup. The car begged for corners on the highway and gave me several good fond memories of driving around and to the lake. It was my first car experience to ever have seen a Wideband installed, it never worked right, but it looked cool watching the A/F ratio bounce back and forth. The car could stop on a scratch on a dime and could probably shoot you through the windshield if Miller Leavitt wanted you out of the car and you werent wearing a seatbelt. This car made me respect Mazda in a whole different light, even if it wasn't a Miata. Sadly this car had a bad accident but I heard recently that it is running again. I know Miller is planning to sell it but I wish he wouldnt... theres too many awesome memories with this car, hell Ive smelled it when it was fresh off the car lot, to when some one left wet socks in there for a day or 40.



The next car is one that I have had mixed emotions about for some time. Ive never really gotten into the whole old Japanese car thing really. I was purely focused on German cars as thats all Ive known, but this one really tickled my Japanese interest from a classic standpoint.

This is a Datsun 280ZX turbo. It is owned by one of my closest friends of all time Adam Donaldson who I also grew up with. One thing that I love about Adam is that he has had a multitude of cars. I remember running around his Ford Contour back in high school, then a GMC Sonoma, then a GMC Sierra, then a 08 Sierra, then a Southern Comfort Suburban, then a POS 85 Ford Ranger... and then wham, 83 Dastun. I have to admit it made me go WTF several times but I went up with him to Tennessee to get this car. It had been sitting in a parking lot and we went to go pick it up. The car needed some small help to get it back on the road but it was a NICE ride. I really liked the Japanese esque muscle car approach with the long hood and what not but I really love the T Tops. There have been more memories in this car than I can count. The handling was ok but I really enjoyed the subtle turbo that the car had. The car was not as aggressive as Justin's GTI turbo wise, but to me felt more super charge ish with a steady off the line power that grew. The wheel was also unique in that it fit the car and was aftermarket yet fit seamlessly with the dash IMHO. The car sported the most fugly 80's wheels imaginable by Centerline and were HORRID when we first got them. Can of black spray paint, tape, and centercaps removed and they really fit with the car. Adam did some suspension work to it and it handled better, but the car has been riddled with electrical problems after an engine swap when wrong. Im hoping that this car will one day get back on the road and get to the point that Adam wants it as it is an impeccable piece of Japanese auto design and build.



The next is one of the more interesting cars Ive come in contact with but is one that captivates my interest in American cars. I usually refer to this car as the Fireturd when I give Chuck Reeves some crap.

Man, tracking down photos off the net is some serious work. Any way, I was never the biggest fan of American muscle V8s ever. They have their place and I think they are great engines, just not exactly my style. It really doesn't help when your father raises you in a way that V8s are useless because of their gas consumption. Chucks car on the other hand is different.... much much much much different. I really do like Chucks car for several reasons. First off it is a special edition (forget the year) but it is a Blue Bird. It came with some pretty trick special add ons and really set the car apart. I am in love with the wheels on this car. He had them professionally restored and they look amazing on this car. What I admire most about this car is that Chuck and his father put an ASS load of work into this car and I was given the privileged to watch the car transform from the former state to as it sits now. Now this car is not a rocket by any means, and it is more than loud... and you dont want to follow to closely due to the fumes, but the paint is very well done, the interior is cleaner then hell, the interior was painted and I have to say was a HUGE improvement over what the stock sickly blue was. This car is certainly Chucks car and very unique in that and I really respect and like the car for that. Id like to think the car was done in Pimp My Ride style sans all the cheesy stuff they put on those cars. This car is tasteful and a big head turner. I will never forget the night we ran into the strippers the night we were hanging out drinking with the car at Hooters. Two drunk stripper came out and wanted to buy the car... the guy that the strippers were taking for a ride was not happy to see us there with such an awesome car much less a For Sale Sign. I don't want him to sell the car though :(



Man this is a lot of work, Im getting tired here.



Another good influence has been Geoffry Camper Pitts and his 944.
I have not really gotten a chance to ride in this car except for a few occasions. But Geoff takes good care of it and I some times get to help when Im not breaking Porsche parts on accident. I really liked this car for several reasons, one is that it was not my first 944 to ride in. My first 944... or was it 924, either way it was in need of some repair and was an 8 valve. Geoff's on the other hand is very well maintained 944S and to the point that Geoff has the uncanny ability to smell gas in the oil and dissect the fuel system in order to fix the fuel leak. I really like the car due to its non grotesque 80's styling and its balance in handling and performance. I think I would be a little more ecstatic about the car if I had been given the chance to drive it ;) Sadly no pictures of the car though :(


Another good influence would be Alex Neklyudov who I also grew up with and his awesome sleeper.

This is a cool sleeper project which I think is awesome and has the whole idea of DIY but with good taste. I got the awesome privilege to ride this car up in Bham one night and I have to say that it was awesome to loose traction in 3rd or 4th gear on the highway. The way Alex approached the car was awesome and a fun project to roll around in. The car was clean and just a blast to ride in. The car would launch better if it had had better tires but I still enjoyed the ride. Alex also had a camera mount if I believe and I thought it was cool. Its not something that you see every day, but I liked how some people would not expect that from such a car and how Alex did it himself and took the time to execute this. IIRC this project started FR year of college. Awesome car and light and fun.







And finally, last but not least by any means.



The STI

As I previously mentioned, Randall Rhodes is a very close friend and car enthusiast, and hes really damn good at being both. When I met Randall I really didn't know what to think of him as a car guy, but that soon changed. To be blunt and to the point, Randall is like Steve Hawking when it comes to building a car with parts. I can talk with Randall about cars until I either run out of breath or what not, there is not a person that I have met that has been so specific, focused, and determined in building a car like his STI. In short, Randall's STI is, in my eyes, like a Hattori Hanzō sword from Kill Bill on four wheels. My first impressions of Subarus were what I expect to be like most American's... Australian, I could have never been more wrong. Randall handed me the keys one night to my amazement to let me drive his car in stock form. I was sold when he handed me the Titanium key that looked like a work of modern art, I am still taken aback by the key and the fact that Randall, only knowing me for a short while, would entrust me with a spin in his car. Lets just say the punch in my chest was not from me wrecking the car thank goodness, but from the power that this little sedan gave me when hitting the throttle. Im glad I do not own that car though, I like playing with the blinky shift light too much :) I also love the fact that it has a rev limiter which amazed the shit out of me. I like good sounding engines revving believe me, but hearing the engine bounce off the rev limiter made me get goose bumps in the seductive throaty growl of a boxer engine.








Randall approaches this car in modifying as if he were a Sushi chef preparing puffer fish for the Smashing Pumpkins. Randall has impeccable taste for rare and awesome parts for his car. He is constantly improving and thinking through part combinations and is more than selective. What amazes me most about the car is the amount of balance it has as a driver and the ability to get groceries if need be. This car is the most balanced car I have had the pleasure of driving and riding in and I can only hope to get into that ball park one day.



These are the cars that I have had the awesome experience to ride in and enjoy, but the best part is the friendships and comradery that has come out of meeting these people. I have learned a lot from each of them no matter how big or small the lesson is and enjoyed every minute of them as friends and family.



Ok, my fingers hurt from writing all this.

Next on the chopping block is direction and the definition of Outlaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment