Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dizzy Rebuild prt 1

Ok, so I got extremely bored this past night. I hate being bored and quite frankly I have no cable which means no internet. This means I get stir crazy and do random things. So I am getting underway with my turbo project and I am currently sporting this little number on my car



Photobucket


That is a Bosch 019 Screamer, granted this is not the one that I own, mines not as nice looking as that but I restored it and like it, good little distributor.


So Im going turbo and need a distributor that can advance under vacuum and retard under boost so I dont blow my motor up right? Enter the original dizzy a JFU4

Photobucket


No where near as cool, old, or attractive, but hey we can work with that right? Well I hope so. The 019s came in a special kit called the screamer kit. That means they got the cool paint job and what not and thats about it. I wanted to repaint mine but to color match that, I could just buy a better or new one and not have to worry about it. Enter my little ball of oil and grime. Wish I had a before picture but I dont :(. I deconstructed the darn thing and began cleaning.


Photobucket


You can see the body is pretty grimey. Had to take out the center assembly out and what not and cleaned all that crap out too. I actually enjoy doing this and making the thing work better. I also learn how things fit together better and all that jazz. I use toothpaste as its actually a pretty good polishing agent and takes care of most of the grime. I then hit it with Windex to get the excess paste off.


Photobucket


Here you can see the tooth paste, the weights, and then the centrifugal weights and their retaining clips, a ball bearing for the rotating of the advance (via boost/vac) which the 019 does not have. Getting there :)


Getting there

Photobucket


After cleaning and then reassembling parts, the parts then went in a bath of this stuff.
Photobucket


And here they are laid out finished and then onto the body.
Photobucket


The body needed some help so I cleaned it up and then painted it to make it a little more attractive.
Photobucket
This should also help keep it clean and gunk free as the aluminum seemed to attract grime and looked horrible.

Heres some home made drying, wont be able to really touch these until tomorrow most likely.
Photobucket


ohh



cant forget an advance chart :)
Photobucket


enough for one day, Im out

No comments:

Post a Comment