Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Slipping away

Cant justify the title other than me listening to the song by Sum 41, but it fits at this point in time. Ive done a lot and its been a while sense posting so this should be a good long update.



Any way, on to the car.



The car officially runs now. Carburetors in general are a tricky thing, its not like you can plug up a lap top and viola, its tuned. These things take time and dedication nowadays. They are tuned by small pieces of brass which are hard to find and cost some money to be honest. As it sits right now, I find that my carbs are pretty set in. I am noticing a bit of a lean spot on initial acceleration but I can adjust that by going from a .40 pump jet to a .45 and that should make the car run perfectly.

Any way lets get to the pics.






Thats a big difference mind you. To the left is the single Solex 34-PICT3. This was the stock carb for my car and it worked ok I guess. I fried an engine over this single setup.







It was very fuel efficient, so much to the point that it really restricted the fuel delivery to the engine. And this is how it looked originally on the engine.





I didnt like the way it looked much less the way it performed. It was great for stock use but I needed something more. Enter the larger carb on the right, there are two of these arranged in a double barrel setup which means there are 4 barrels on this engine now. Now we are talking :).
These allow for each cylinder to be tuned to what they need which is important. Here they are on the engine now.






There is a considerably noticeable difference on the car now, this thing has a little more get up and go. I finally nailed down the tuning after a very long time and I like the way they run the car. Much more throttle response but if you drive it normally just like it used to be it acts much in the same manner. Notice the Alternator. I replaced the generator and Im also pleased with this upgrade, it feels more inline with the car and its goals and will be able to power some of the electronic goodies that will help it with a future mod... turbo :)



I am planning to turbo the car some time within this life time, but Im taking a long time to do it. The car is going to sport some nice turbo parts and controls. I will get to those at another date and post.



As for now I have decided to go away from the WRX turbo I picked up as it is not in the limits for my engine and will not boost as I want it to. Whats the point of a turbo if it only spools for 800 RPM? So I have decided to go with a Garrett T25 turbo.





This is the .8x A/R one but I have one that is a .49 A/R which will spool up a lot sooner, Im hoping at 2-2.5K RPMs. I dont want to get to much into the setup now, but that will come as I acquire more and more parts for this project. Im aiming for 150-160 crank horses which this car would be a BLAST to drive but we shall see.



Ive also been restoring/cleaning the hell out the visors.






The off white is clean of course and the brown one is one that has yet to receive treatment. That is a solid hour of cleaning via Windex and then re moisturizing with Vaseline which I have fallen in love with its ability to cheaply lubricate leathers, plastics, and vinyls. Infact I used it to treat my dash which looks amazing and factory fresh now. Keep in mind this shot was in the dark so its not a glamor shot
but you get the general idea.






I then spent some time one the wheel and got it looking a little bit better. First is how I originally got it and then after massaging.




So yeah, thats about it for now.


1 comment:

  1. I had no idea that the spool was so slow using the WRX turbo, excellent choice to change that out. IMHO boost pressure on the low side more than makes up for top end power, ESPECIALLY if this is something you are driving around. Downshifting to pass ftl.

    ReplyDelete