Thursday, July 9, 2009

Shifty Situation

Ok, so I got bit the other day, more like yesterday but whatever. I currently have a shifter in the car naturally, but it isnt really upgraded, more just a stock shifter with a bit of a chrome cross drilled sleeve and a nice shift knob.



snagged this off www.thesamba.com any ways, I have the formula vee shifter (upper right hand corner) which come to think of it, FV sold little nick knack things for vws to "dress them up" a bit. I see no performance out of this shifter and when I bought it at the time I wanted to see if it would. It doesnt :( . I dont know why this has irked me so much recently, I mean it worked at the time yeah, but now it just doesnt seem to fit what I want. This means that I can use it for my very one day though which is cool.

So... what to replace it with?



I was thinking Hurst, but Hursts are very much Mopar and non VW, I mean they did come out in the 60's and 70's but yeah, way more Mopar then Dub. And then I remembered Ive always liked and wanted a Gene Berg Shifter. These things are hella famous and very well made apparently. People swear by these guys and Im pretty sure put Berg on the map. So the question is, do I want a 40% or a 60% reduction in gear travel. Little undecided. I have found a standard 11" with a small curve 60% reduction throw for $225 shipped, then a 40% reduction that is 9.5" tall. I want to get the 60% as I can get 40% reduc out of a stock shifter with a $5 part. Decisions decisions.

some pictures of the two proposed options, but Im really thinking the 60% reduction.



40%







the 60%, notice the ball and shaft protrudes a bit more and requires a special plate that isnt shown that lifts the assembly up a bit giving the larger throw.









Im really feeling the 60% reduction though :(

No comments:

Post a Comment